Saturday, June 24, 2006

Some time ago

Actually, quite a long time ago now, Franklin posted about a book that was due to come out and which he thought would be well worth a read. I have now read it, in conjunction with this one. I think it was a good combination - two books from completely different perspectives both looking at communication and life across the gender divide.

If I'd only read the book which was written by a linguist (the second one), I'd have a very skewed understanding of how communication works. As a woman and a linguist, the author was quite understandably very focussed on the role of words and the meaning beneath words. The book Franklin recommended, also written by a woman, was a very good read, but not a comfortable one. I'll be going back to it a few times, I think, to see what else is waiting to bite!

I'm not going to give any more away. There's a good review linked from Franklin's post, so if you want to know more, pop over.

Work
I've had a wretched week, but thanks to a brief conversation with the best Dad in the world (not that I'm biased or anything) I've got my head straightened out a bit and hope to get a bit more done this week coming.

Knitting
You must be joking! It's nearly July, which is when our busiest season starts, I'm still trying to finish painting downstairs, and we're down to three rooms in the hotel thanks to the emergency renovations....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, well, it's good to hear from you. Hopefully all your hard work will pay off in a good season. Think of all the wool that can buy you! VBG!

24/6/06 15:54  
Blogger Dez Crawford said...

Lornajay, please email me with your postal address so I can send the yarn!

dezcrawford@hotmail.com

26/6/06 16:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home