Sunday, July 30, 2006

I miss

lots of things. But yesterday, I was reminded of how much fun it was to help run a cub scout pack.

We had a family of three, plus granny, plus friend, staying over the past two nights. The two boys were getting distinctly twitchy sitting in the breakfast room waiting for the adults to finish with tea, toast and papers, and I suggested that they pop out into the beer garden. They asked to be given something to do, and spent a happy half hour sweeping the flagstones. Dad was happy too, as he got to sit out in the sun with his paper and cigarette keeping an eye on them while the ladies went off and did shopping-y things.

The boys were keen to do more today. Fortunately, when they asked me if they could go outside, I deferred to Mum.... They were told in no uncertain terms that packing was a more appropriate use of their time.

Cue Prince Herbert in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

One of these years, when I actually have spare time (what a wonderful concept) I'll see about getting involved with cubs again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home