Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Rant

Apologies in advance.

I've just received the new Avon brochure (cosmetics by mail order) and was happily browsing when I came across this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here's a larger version of the offending bit:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Excuse me? What on earth is going on here? Botox for your 21st birthday, anyone?

I'm afraid I'm not particularly coherent about this, but quite frankly if we're to start worrying about getting old-and-wrinkly as soon as we leave our teens, then I think we've got our priorities just a little bit skewiffy.

More simply: I don't want to look like Cher when I'm 60!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in my advertising days I worked for a group of plastic surgeons who bought hair salons and then trained the stylists on how to "innocently" suggest the woman in their chair was 10 years older than she was. For every referral to the surgeon, they got free botox. That's when I knew it was time to quit.

19/12/06 22:26  
Blogger Charity said...

Funny how that would pop up now, when I'm groaning and moaning about turning 30! Sigh. It's funny, because I've always believed that women really are more attractive once they're out of their 20s, they just have more character, somehow. :0)

23/12/06 18:05  
Blogger ravelling said...

There's something really wrong with this kind of thing! Makes me want to go out and buy a red hat and wear purple.

Merry Chistmas!

26/12/06 18:00  
Blogger Dez Crawford said...

The cosmetics industry fuels its multibillion dollar international business by striving to make women feel insecure about the way we look. The younger they can instill this paranoia about appearance, the better for their pockets. We are beseiged with paranoia about our appearance and guilt about eating and weight -- and not for health reasons.

Ever notice how the headlines on women's magazines read like commands? LOSE WEIGHT NOW. LOOK TEN YEARS YOUNGER. LOSE 20 POUNDS BY SWIMSUIT SEASON.

The whole thing is is sick and wrong.

29/12/06 07:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home