Thursday, January 05, 2006

The twelfth day of Christmas

And that is a scary thing, because the last time I posted was on the big day itself.

Life started to return to normal for January yesterday: freezing fog, an empty pub, and a list of to-do's that I despair of ever completing. I did get out for a walk, although it was more of a scamper due to the temperature. Fifteen minutes down to the Jed, along the Newcastle Road, up past the bowling club, up past the cemetary, and down the Castlegate. Up is definitely the word, and I was very glad of a woolly scarf to breathe through on the steepest (stepped) bit of the walk. My legs were OK, but my lungs ached!

At this time of year the public bar in the hotel is not a fun place to work. Not because it's uncomfortable (it is nice and warm, and there's a stool behind the bar to perch on when your legs get tired), but because it is BORING. Yesterday we turned over the grand total of £25, which means we had fewer than 10 customers over an 11 hour day - and there is only so much daytime TV you can watch, even with SKY (the satellite TV operator).

Meanwhile, thanks to Franklin, I am making a teddy bear. Some time ago, he posted about his adventures with the bear formerly known as Jack which he dubbed Istvan. Thanks to Franklin's glowing review, and very unusually for me, I bought something on impulse: Sandra Polley's The Knitted Teddy Bear. I knew that if the book went out of print I would really regret not having bought it immediately.

The bear is now knitted, stuffed, and assembled except for the ears, eyes, nose and claws. It really doesn't look anything like a bear at all! You will have to take my word for this for now, as the man/bear-shaped thing is upstairs, as is the camera, and I know I won't have time to take and edit piccies for a while.


Aside from that, there has been a new arrival in our family: Amy Elizabeth was born in London on Hogmanay, and I have a little something to send down to her proud but shell-shocked parents.
Royalty
Red and yellow booties . Red and yellow hat
I still need to find a card (our two small card-and-gift shops are closed until Monday) and box the booties and matching (but bigger) hat up, but that should all be done by early next week at the latest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home